I am still working through the last stages of the Key65 rebuild.
Deskey films are a new option in the MX switch world. Like other switch films (most notably TX films), they attempt to make the top and bottom housing of the switches fit tighter. The switch films help reduce housing wobble and provide a deeper sound.
I had an original NK65 and sold it. I regretted that sale, so I was keen to jump on the new updates.
Some find lubing switches relaxing. I am not one of those people. For me, it is a necessary evil, so I was excited to try the new pre-lubed Novel Keys pre-lubed Silk series and compare them to the Dry series (not lubed switches).
The playlist below contains recordings of the Retk1800 with Kat profile keycaps. Each recording uses a different method to control the sound profile with in the Retk1800 case:
One thing that caught me off guard during my first build with an Alice style layout was the left bottom row.
This build was a labor of love and some pain and misery. But in the end, I am quite pleased with how it turned out.
Typically, a split backspace takes your standard 2U backspace button and splits it in half (i.e., into two separate keys). You can usually choose to whatever keys you want for these two keys. I (and many others) prefer
pipe and backslash for one and
tilde and accent for the other. You can then take the standard 1.5u
pipe and slash and convert that to backspace.
The Noah is my first keyboard by Matrix Lab. It has a few rough spots that make getting everything set up a bit of a challenge, but it is well worth the effort.
I finally had a chance to build my Matrix Labs Noah. It is a 65% keyboard with very clean lines. It is also one of the first Matrix Labs boards to support QMK.
I recently picked up the Tokyo60 Rev 3 from Drop. I am a big fan of the HHKB layout, loved the blue color, and wanted to find something that I could test new switches in without having to put strain on my M60-A.
Most of the keyboards I have built have been the result of finding different parts that were available at the time. This build was the first time I purposely set out to acquire a specific set of components.
I was searching for a Happy Hacking HHKB on eBay and came across a listing for KBDFans Tofu with an HHKB layout. The board looked to be in good shape and had a price much better the Happy Hacking. I figured it was a good and cheap way to try out the HHKB layout.